Wednesday, February 09, 2011

New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force

For the longest time I have been a big fan of the Star Wars Expanded Universe and all of the books talented authors have written, but for the last few years I have been pushed away from all of that by the two newer series: The New Jedi Order series and the Legacy of the Force series.

The only way to describe my feelings toward these series is utter disgust. I hate the universe they created and I hate that it was a done from one of my favorites. And yet if feels so much more complicated than that. The things that disgust me are not simple or cut and dry. They are more complex and confusing than I am use to dealing with, and I don't quite know how to cope. Let me explain...

One of the things that was done that bothers me most is the death of Mara Jade Skywalker. She was killed before her time and it was wrong. This is all well and normal, but then it gets complicated. She wasn't killed off by the author who originally created her, Timothy Zahn, and who put a lot of effort into creating her. He wouldn't have killed her off at that particular point in time and in that particular way. This introduces an element of hope into something I would normally feel helpless rage over, and I don't know what to do with that. He can't change what happened in the story, but I find myself wishing I could get an alternate reality written by him. It will never happen, but I want it to happen. It is almost a feeling of helpless hope. Can I write and ask for him to fix everything?

Were that the only problem with the two series... There is so much more, from the death of Chewie and Anakin Solo, to the "destruction" of Coruscant and what happened to the New Republic, and to what happened to Jacen Solo... I hate it all, and I no longer feel like a member of the Star Wars fan community because of it. Is there a solution? I haven't found one yet.

No comments: