Friday, April 01, 2011

Post New Republic


As mentioned in the post "New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force", the time when I would have enjoyed the Star Wars expanded universe books came to an end with the so-called "Post New Republic" era books. There is something about the situations and character developments (and deaths) in those series that just breaks my heart and sucks away everything about Star Wars that I loved. That may seem like an over-reaction, but to me it almost feels like an understatement. Not only do I dislike the Post New Republic books, but for me they taint everything that has come before. They leave a "bad taste in my mouth". 

I was having trouble understanding this until discussing a popular fantasy series with a friend. Neither of us was very fond of the series and what it came down to was the pointlessness of everything that happened. What the characters did wasn't important because there was no hope; everyone would die, things wouldn't change, there was nothing to look forward to. That is exactly what I feel the Post New Republic books did to the Star Wars universe; they removed hope and caused too much destruction. I don't feel excited by the "drama" of it, but instead feel robbed of victory. 

They crossed the line and in their quest for more 'exciting' stories went too far.

No comments: