Saturday, March 10, 2012

Annoying Argument


Recently I was re-watching Star Wars: A New Hope, and it got me thinking. In the many years since the prequel trilogy was released, I have heard many arguments along these lines: "You can't complain about how horrible the prequels were, the originals have their share of problems and are just as cheesy." These arguments have always annoyed me because they always feel focused on surface issues, shallow, and miss the real problem.

Underneath all of my complaints about the prequels is the belief that the very core of the prequels, the story that sits under all the special effects and all the acting (or lack thereof), has major issues while the core of the original trilogy does not (or at least on any major scale). 

It wasn't the special effects or the acting that made me love those original movies, it wasn't even that they were visual, it was, and still is, the story itself. I don't care about flashy special effects, I don't care much about cheesy ones (or else I would never love the original Doctor Who like I do…), but I do care very much about the story. And it is the story of the prequels that ultimately causes my extreme dislike of them. 

So if you are ever tempted to use that above argument on me... don't… please….

No comments: