Saturday, November 03, 2012

NaNoWriMo '12 and Star Wars


If I'm going to participate in NaNoWriMo this year, I've got to stop thinking about Star Wars. It's throwing me off... but first...

I categorize the Star Wars Expanded Universe in 3 ways...

(1) The truly great. This category belongs only to Zahn and Stackpole for their outstanding stories and their firm understanding of the universe and the existing characters.

(2) The "okay". Things like Shadows of the Empire, The Jedi Apprentice books, and such go here. These are okay stories and their understanding of the universe and characters is passable, but perhaps not perfect. Maybe 20% of the stories fit in this category.

(3) The utterly horrific rubbish. This category is for the New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, and so on books. They might be perfectly good stories, but 9 times out of 10 the authors are writing 'sci-fi' not Star Wars. They don't get the characters or the universe, nor does it seem many of them really care to. Probably 70% of the EU stories belong here.

And the prevalence of #3 is why I'm not thrilled about Disney's plans.

(I should note my problem with the prequels is actually different from the above. While they are rubbish, they are still Star Wars.)

Maybe writing this out will help me focus on air pirates....

No comments: